AMD today launched the AMD Radeon HD 6990M GPU — the world’s fastest single mobile graphics processor — an uncompromising GPU that delivers massive computing power to mobile users. The AMD Radeon HD 6990M GPU was measured to be up to 25 percent faster than any other announced notebook enthusiast GPU1. Furthermore, hardcore gamers can experience additional gaming performance through AMD CrossFireX technology.
Ultra-fast performance and portability is imperative for enthusiast mobile gamers who crave technology that helps deliver an incredible gaming experience with the latest graphic-intensive titles. With the arrival of the AMD Radeon 6990M GPU and the recently launched AMD A-Series Accelerated Processors (APU), AMD is pushing graphics capabilities to the limits for a wide range of notebook form factors and price points while enhancing the experience through technologies like AMD CrossFireX(TM) and Dual Graphics2.3 (using a combination of AMD Radeon GPUs or an AMD Radeon GPU and an AMD APU). AMD CrossFireX technology combines the output of two GPUs that helps deliver increased performance, allowing gamers to immediately notice higher resolutions and greater image quality. With two AMD Radeon HD 6990M GPUs and AMD CrossFireX technology enabled, the notebook gamer can appreciate exceptional performance scaling in their favorite games.
Matt Skynner, corporate vice president and general manager, GPU division, AMD, said:
There’s always been a belief that when it comes to mobile computing you need to make performance compromises. Today AMD demolishes that myth. The AMD Radeon HD 6990M GPU, which not only packs AMD Eyefinity technology with unprecedented specs, also provides full Microsoft DirectX(R) 11 and Stereo 3D support. Bottom line, this processor is epic and it’s here — now.
The AMD Radeon HD 6990M also represents a significant upgrade from AMD’s current gaming notebook graphics solution, the AMD Radeon HD 6970M, raising the bar from both a performance and image quality perspective. With support for DirectX(R) 11, users can expect ultra-fast frame rates and superior image quality, which gives gamers every advantage their desktop computers once enjoyed exclusively. With AMD Eyefinity technology users can immerse themselves in an ultra-rich environment that supports up to six displays.4 The AMD Radeon HD 6990M graphics processor also delivers AMD App Acceleration technology5, which uses the power of the GPU to improve video playback, streaming and faster web browsing with Internet Explorer 9 and Mozilla Firefox. AMD HD3D technology6 ensures mobile users aren’t just watching videos or viewing pictures — rather they become immersed in a truly stereoscopic 3D environment backed by an open ecosystem with supporting software and hardware.
Arthur Lewis, Vice President and General Manager for Alienware, said:
At its core, the Alienware brand is about pushing the limits and finding new extremes in gaming performance. By offering two AMD Radeon HD 6990M graphics processors in our flagship M18x laptop, Alienware and AMD have come together to provide gamers the ultimate mobile experience.
As the PC gaming technology leader, AMD is dedicated to delivering the fastest technology and industry support needed to help create the best possible gaming experience on the PC. Whether it’s driving up frame rates, extending quality settings or pushing clock speeds7, the AMD Radeon HD 6990M GPU is the ideal notebook for hardcore gamers looking to run the industry’s most demanding DirectX 11 games such as Dragon Age 2, DiRT 3 and Shogun 2.
Stephen Chien, Sales and Marketing Vice President, Clevo, said:
We’re excited by the new AMD Radeon HD 6990M GPU for enthusiast Clevo notebook users, specially implemented in our X7200/P170HM/P150HM gaming product lines. With 2GB GDDR5 memory along with 1.6 teraFlops of raw compute power and 1120 stream processing units, those notebook users will reign supreme. The AMD Radeon HD 6990M will help users achieve intense effects and blazing fast frame rates for outstanding performance.
Mark Bialic, President, Eurocom, said:
Eurocom high performance notebooks offer exceptional performance with the addition of AMD Radeon HD 6990M graphics. Our customers can expect record breaking gaming with unmatched realism and blistering speeds in all Eurocom systems powered by AMD Radeon HD 6990M in both single and AMD CrossFireX configurations!
- In tests conducted in AMD performance labs at 1920×1080, simulating mobile performance with a down-clocked desktop test system the AMD Radeon(TM) HD 6990M-based system was measured to be faster than the NVIDIA GeForce 580M in the following benchmarks: Dragon Age 2 at 4AA/16AF (23.69% faster), Total War: Shogun 2 at 2xAA/16xAF (10.36% faster), Aliens vs. Predator at 2xAA/8xAF (13.19% faster), Batman: Arkham Asylum at 4xAA/16xAF (16.85% faster), ET: Quake Wars at 8xAA/16xAF (25.82% faster), Just Cause 2 at 0xAA/2xAF (14.22% faster), Left 4 Dead 2 at 0xAA/0xAF (8.30% faster), Metro2033 at AAA/4xAF (11.40% faster), The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena at 4xAA/8xAF (15.32% faster), Wolfenstein MP at 8xAA/16xAF (16.59% faster). Tests conducted with the following configuration: Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, AMD Phenom(TM) II X4 965 (2.4GHz), 4GB (2GBX2GB), DDR3 system memory, Microsoft(R) Windows(R) 7 64-bit Ultimate operating system. Drivers: AMD Catalyst 8.861 RC1, NVIDIA Driver 275.33 WHQL.
- AMD CrossFireX(TM) technology requires an AMD CrossFireX Ready motherboard, an AMD CrossFireX(TM) Bridge Interconnect (for each additional graphics card) and may require a specialized power supply.
- AMD Radeon(TM) Dual Graphics requires an AMD A-Series APU plus an AMD Radeon(TM) discrete graphics configuration and works on Windows(R) 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows(R) 7 Home Premium, and/or Windows(R) 7 Home Basic OS. Linux OS supports manual switching which requires restart of X-Server to engage and/or disengage the discrete graphics processor for dual graphics capabilities. Additional hardware (e.g. Blu-ray drive, HD or 10-bit monitor, TV tuner, wirelessly enabled HDTV) and/or software (e.g. multimedia applications) are required for the full enablement of some features. HD Video display requires an HD video source. The AMD Radeon(TM) “D” series and AMD Radeon(TM) “A2” Dual Graphics series do not support AMD Eyefinity technology. Not all features may be supported on all components or systems — check with your component or system manufacturer for specific model capabilities and supported technologies.
- AMD Eyefinity technology works with games that support non-standard aspect ratios, which is required for spanning across multiple displays. To enable more than two displays, additional panels with native DisplayPort(TM) connectors, and/or DisplayPort(TM) compliant active adapters to convert your monitor’s native input to your cards DisplayPort(TM) or Mini-DisplayPort(TM) connector(s), are required. SLS (Single Large Surface) functionality requires an identical display resolution on all configured displays. AMD Eyefinity technology can support up to 6 displays using a single enabled AMD Radeon(TM) GPU with Windows Vista(R) or Windows(R) 7 operating systems.
- AMD App Acceleration is a set of technologies designed to improve video quality and enhance application performance. Full enablement of some features requires support for OpenCL(TM) or DirectCompute (including AMD’s Unified Video Decoder (UVD)). Not all products have all features and full enablement of some capabilities and may require complementary products.
- AMD HD3D is a technology designed to enable stereoscopic 3D support in games, movies and/or photos. Additional hardware (e.g. 3D enabled panels, 3D-enabled glasses/emitter, Blu-ray 3D drive) and/or software (e.g. Blu-ray 3D discs, 3D middleware, games) are required for the enablement of stereoscopic 3D. Not all features may be supported on all components or systems — check with your component or system manufacturer for specific model capabilities and supported technologies.
- AMD’s product warranty does not cover damages caused by overclocking, even when overclocking is enabled via AMD hardware or software.