ASRock combines AMD 890FX chpset and Socket AM3+
ASRock 890FX Deluxe5 motherboard will feature Socket AM3+ to support AMD Zambezi processors
The more functionality has the central processor, the less it is dependent on particular chipset. This feature clearly demonstrates ASRock 890FX Deluxe5 motherboard with its layout published on a German web-site. PC Treiber.
ASRock is famous for its hybrid solutions combining new processor with old chipsets or visa versa. This time combination includes a well-known AMD 890FX and processor Socket AM3+ that allows to install upcoming 8-core Zambezi CPUs. Note that, motherboards with Socket AM3 won’t support these new processors, however, Socket AM3+ motherboards are back compatible with Socket AM3 CPUs.
This is a great example showing that support for new processors with Socket AM3+ is not a unique feature of AMD’s 9th series chipsets. We have already seen SATA-600 ports on SB850 based motherboards, while there is still no native support for USB 3.0, though SB950 won’t provide that support too. Therefore, we believe the combination of Socket AM3+ and AMD 890FX + SB850 chipsets is not bad in terms of functionality. ASRock 890FX Deluxe5 provides four USB 3.0 ports via two NEC controllers and as bonus the motherboards with feature UEFI instead of BIOS firmware interface. Most likely, there will be more motherboards based on 8th gen chipsets and equipped with Socket AM3+. And since these motherboards support Socket AM3 processors too, you can use them even now.
Other technical details include:
- Four 240-pin DIMM slots supporting up-to 32GB of Dual Chanell DDR3 memory clocked 1866(OC)/1800(OC)/1600(OC)/1333/1066/800 MHz;
- Three PCI Express 2.0 х16 slots with support for Quad CrossFireX, 3-Way CrossFireX and CrossFireX as well as a pair of PCI Express х1 and PCI slots;
- Eight SATA III ports, six of them can be used for RAID 0/1/1+0/5 setups;
- Realtek ALC892 audio codec supporting Premium Blu-ray Audio and THX TruStudio PRO, providing 7.1 channel output of HD Audio;
- Realtek RTL8111E Gigabit Ethernet Controller;
- I/O panel ports include two PS/2 ports, optical and coaxial S/PDIF-outputs, six USB 2.0 ports, two USB 3.0 ports, eSATA III and IEEE 1394 ports, RJ-45 port, six audio inputs/outputs, Clear CMOS button.