NVIDIA today announced the world’s fastest notebook graphics processing unit (GPU)1, the NVIDIA® GeForce GTX 580M. Available now in the Alienware M18x, the new GPU sets new standards in industry leading benchmarks and games. It will also be available soon in the Alienware M17x notebook along with NVIDIA Optimus™ technology.
Rene Haas, general manager of notebook products at NVIDIA, said:
The best game support. The best gaming features. The best gaming performance available anywhere. That’s the essence of the GeForce GTX 580M. With power like this, you can turn all the knobs to 11.
The first notebook PC to feature the GeForce GTX 580M, the Alienware M18x offers the option of two GeForce GTX 580M GPUs in one system for up to double the gaming performance, using NVIDIA SLI® technology. Not to be outdone, the Alienware M17x will offer the GeForce GTX 580M along with NVIDIA Optimus technology and will deliver 5 hours of battery life in Facebook, and 100 frames per second performance in Call of Duty: Black Ops.
Eddy Goyanes, product marketing manager for Alienware, says:
Gamers aspire to experience games at their highest settings. Alienware activates the technology designed to enable those aspirations. With the launch of the GeForce GTX 580M on the Alienware M17x, and a dual card option on the M18x, that synergy continues — Alienware delivers the ultimate gaming experience.
GeForce GTX 580M GPUs are the fastest Microsoft DirectX 11 notebook GPUs on the market, offering up to six times the tessellation performance of any other notebook GPU.2 They are also more efficient, with up to 20 percent better performance per watt than the previous generation.3
|Model||GeForce GTX 580M||GeForce GTX 570M|
|GPU Engine Specs:|
|Processor Clock||1240 MHz||1150 MHz|
|Texture Fill Rate||39.7 billion/sec||32.2 billion/sec|
|Memory clock||1500 MHz||1500 MHz|
|Memory Interface Width||256-bit||192-bit|
|Memory Bandwidth||96 GB/sec||72GB/sec|
|Bus Support||PCIe 2.0||PCIe 2.0|
|Certified for Windows 7||Yes||Yes|
|Supported technologies||3D vision, CUDA, PhysX, SLI, Optimus, DirectX 11|
|Maximum digital resolution||2560 x 1600||2560 x 1600|
|Maximum VGA resolution||2048 x x1536||2048 x x1536|
NVIDIA also introduced the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570M GPU, which offers 20 percent faster performance than the previous generation product it replaces.4
The power of GeForce GTX GPUs means gamers can play at full 1080p high-definition resolutions with the advanced technology features that set GeForce GPUs apart from the competition. These include:
- Support for NVIDIA 3D Vision™ technology, the #1 3D experience for notebooks, which automatically converts over 525 titles into immersive 3D
- Support for NVIDIA 3DTV Play™ software, for connecting 3D Vision-based notebooks to 3D TVs
- NVIDIA SLI® technology, which links two GTX GPUs for up to double your gaming performance
- NVIDIA Optimus technology, which enables extra-long battery life by automatically switching on and off the GPU so that it runs only when needed
- NVIDIA PhysX® engine support, which brings games to life with realistic physics
- NVIDIA CUDA® architecture support, for GPU computing applications
- NVIDIA Verde™ notebook drivers, for frequent performance improvements and rock-solid stability
For more information on any GeForce 500M Series GPUs, visit www.nvidia.com.
- Based on testing performed at NVIDIA using industry standard benchmarks, as well as top games at 1920×1080 at high settings on a Intel 2.5GHz QC, Huron River chipset, 2GB DDR3 1333, Verde 275.29
- or Cat 11.5a, GeForce GTX 580M vs AMD Radeon HD 6970M: 3DMark Vantage P GeForce=16240 Radeon=12616, 3D Mark 11 P GeForce=3170 Radeon=3020, Unigine Heaven Engine 2.5 GeForce=21.5
- Radeon=18.8, Dirt 2 GeForce=61.9 Radeon=55.2, Stalker COP GeForce=38.2 Radeon=31.9, Call of Duty: Black Ops GeForce=107.4 Radeon=85. Others available upon request
- Based on Microsoft DX11 DSub11 benchmark
- Based on power requirements and composite game scores between GTX 480/470M and GTX 580/570M
- Compared to the GeForce GTX 470M