LAS VEGAS, NV — (Marketwire) — 01/05/2011 — CES 2011 — NVIDIA announced today the arrival of the next wave of super phones, powered by NVIDIA® Tegra™ 2, the world’s first mobile super chip.
These new super phones go beyond today’s smartphones, delivering unprecedented multimedia experiences that take fuller advantage of faster network download speeds and higher bandwidth.
Smartphones start with four-inch-plus screens, single-core 1 GHz mobile processors, five-plus megapixels cameras, and multiple microphones — which enable a decent video and gaming experience. The new super phones use powerful multi-core CPU processors, lightning-fast GPUs and ultralow power requirements — which create magical video and gaming experiences.
Real super phones require real super chips. The new super phones being unveiled at CES will become an essential mobile computing device. And Tegra delivers these mobile computing capabilities for super phones better than anything else on the market.
Their seamless multitasking and support for hardware-accelerated Adobe® Flash® Player begin the process of merging the smartphone, with a game console and multimedia device. The result is a mobile web experience capable of console-quality, multi-player, cross-platform gaming, as well as enormous flexibility in terms of carrying out multiple tasks at once.
Tegra 2 Highlights:
- The Tegra 2 super chip turbocharges the super phone category and brings a new wave of devices to life with never-before-seen experiences. It features:
- Dual-core ARM Cortex-A9 CPU — The world’s first mobile dual-core CPU for faster Web browsing, snappier response time and better overall performance.
- Ultra-low powered (ULP) NVIDIA® GeForce® GPU — the ULP GeForce GPU delivers outstanding mobile 3D game playability and a visually engaging, highly responsive 3D user interface
- 1080p Video Playback Processor — Watch 1080p HD movies stored on your mobile device on your HDTV, without compromising battery life.
- Tegra 2 enables new mobile media and gaming capabilities:
- For the first time, consumers will be able to game with multiple players using different types of devices. For example, a Tegra 2-powered super phone or tablet can be used to play with players on a desktop PC.
- NVIDIA demonstrated a prototype of Skype HD video calling on an Android tablet at its CES 2011 press conference. NVIDIA developed a reference implementation of HD video conferencing on Tegra 2-based tablets using SkypeKit. SkypeKit is a collection of software and APIs that allows virtually any Internet connected device to offer Skype voice and video calls.
- NVIDIA introduced the Tegra Zone app. It allows consumers to find Tegra-optimized games for their super phone or tablet, along with professional game reviews, high-res screenshots, HD video trailers, gameplay videos, and behind-the-scenes featurettes. Consumers can complete their purchase of Tegra Zone games on the Android Market.
- The LG Optimus 2X is the fast and hyper performance super phone:
- The Optimus 2X delivers faster performance, seamless multi-tasking, full HDMI and true visual gaming for a better user experience.
- Key specifications include:
- 4-inch WVGA screen
- 8GB memory (up to 32GB via microSD)
- 1,500 mAh battery
- 8 megapixel rear camera and 1.3 megapixel front camera
- HDMI mirroring
- 1080p MPEG-4/H.264 playback and recording
- For more information and product images, please visit LG’s online press kit at www.lgnewsroom.com/CES2011.
Details can’t yet be provided for other super phones that will be announced shortly at CES.