Nvidia unleashes GeForce 500M series GPUs
New GPU Series Offers Category-Leading Performance and Features NVIDIA Optimus Technology
LAS VEGAS, NV — (Marketwire) — 01/05/2011 — CES 2011 — NVIDIA today announced the GeForce® 500M series of notebook graphics processing units (GPUs), designed to power laptops featuring next-generation Intel Core CPUs (Sandy Bridge).
GeForce 500M GPUs are expected to power some of the industry’s best notebooks in 2011. The GPUs feature category-leading performance in media-rich HD, 3D, Web, and Gaming applications, as well as enhanced battery life, courtesy of NVIDIA Optimus™ technology. NVIDIA Optimus technology enables extra long battery life by switching on and off the GPU so that it runs only when needed.
The new GPUs being introduced today include:
- For performance users: GeForce GT 540M, GeForce GT 550M, and GeForce GT 555M with over four times the performance of integrated graphics and twice the DirectX 11 performance of the competition.
- For mainstream users: GeForce GT 520M and GeForce GT 525M offering over twice the performance of integrated graphics.
Only NVIDIA GPUs support NVIDIA Optimus technology, which enables extra-long battery life by automatically switching on and off the GPU so that it runs only when needed. Introduced less than a year ago, NVIDIA Optimus is now designed into over 80% of 500M Series notebooks across leading OEMs.
Rene Haas, general manager of notebook business at NVIDIA, said:
GeForce GT 500M GPUs combined with Optimus technology enable the most versatile laptops ever created. Pairing a great GPU with a strong CPU delivers Optimized notebook performance for consumers.
Only NVIDIA GeForce 500M GPUs offer:
- NVIDIA 3D Vision™ technology support for eye-popping immersive 3D environments
- DirectX 11 support for the most visually stunning gaming experiences
- PhysX™ physics engine support for experiencing games with realistic physics effects
- CUDA™ architecture support for general purpose GPU computing applications
- NVIDIA Verde™ notebook drivers for system stability and optimal performance
- Support for NVIDIA 3DTV Play™ software for delivering 3D content from your PC to a 3D TV
|GPU Engine Specs:|
|Graphics clock (MHz)||590||740||672||600||740|
|Procesor clock (MHz)||1180||1480||1344||1200||1480|
|Texture Fill Rate (billion/sec)||10.6||10.8||10.8||9.6||5.9|
|Memory Clock (MHz)||900||900||900||900||800|
|Memory Interface Width||192 Bit||128 Bit||128 Bit||128 Bit||64 Bit|
|Memory Bandwidth (GB/sec)||43.2||28.8||28.8||28.8||12.8|
|NVIDIA 3D Vision Ready||yes||yes||yes||no||no|
|NVIDIA Optimus Technology||yes||yes||yes||yes||yes|
|Hardware Video Decode Acceleration||yes||yes||yes||yes||yes|
|NVIDIA Verde Drivers||yes||yes||yes||yes||yes|
|NVIDIA CUDA™ Technology||yes||yes||yes||yes||yes|
Acer, Alienware, ASUS, Clevo, Dell, Fujitsu, Lenovo, Medion, MSI, Samsung, Toshiba and others announced GeForce 500M-based systems at CES this year, and represent a fraction of the over 200 design wins from leading notebook manufacturers for GeForce 500M GPUs. For more information on GeForce 500M Series GPUs, please NVIDIA home-page.